Saturday, November 17, 2007

Our new porch!

Wow! Look at me. I'm learning how to blog. I'm so excited. You guys have inspired me to start blogging because I find that reading your blogs lets me be a part of your life even when we're far apart.




This is what I had to look at for just over three months. It's a picture of our back porch during demolition and reconstruction. Strange how demolition goes alot faster than reconstruction. We had to wait while we ordered a new door and window and then we had to wait for Torrey to get back from BC to help us rewire the porch electrical systems and put up the drywall.




You're looking at our new back door. There is a new door, a new window and a whole new wall that Dad built and I painted. Also, notice the new wooden step just before you enter the house that matches our new deck.




Now you've opened the back door and you can see the new carpet, which matches the carpet in the front porch. See the white post sticking up from the bottom of the picture. Next summer we're going to cover it with wood that matches the deck. It's just a free-standing ornamental post.




Look at all the extra cupboards and pantry space that I have now. I'm so happy.




This next picture was taken from inside the kitchen facing east. Notice the wider opening into the porch with a nice little wooden shelf. It really brings alot of morning light into the kitchen. My kitchen before we changed the entryway was really dark. There was no window in the door, and the light from the old window, was blocked by the old archway. There is just no comparison to the amount of morning light in my kitchen now, which I just love.




Here you can see the new door and window closer up, and you can see we have our winter jackets hanging on the left wall.




I just had to show you my new pantry space again, because I like it so much. If you notice I still have a blank space on the wall above these red containers. I'm going to get Dad to build me a narrow spice cupboard. I think that will be very useful and fill up that blank space just perfectly.



Here's a close up view of this really nice antique shoe rack that I found at the Tilly. Fooled you. Dad and I actually built this shelf. Torrey helped Dad with the cutting, because Torrey can cut alot straighter with the skillsaw than Dad can. The drawer was also built by Dad and Torrey and we are using it for holding tools and things.



The last picture is just a nice heads on view of how nicely our shoes will fit into our new shoe rack. I usually am the one who loves to get out the paint brush and paint everything. I chose a nice stain and varnish for this rack, instead of more white paint. I made it match the colors of my kitchen cupboards.

Until I blog again. Good bye for now, but I'll be seeing you all in person soon.

1 comment:

Darcy & Sharon said...

Wow! Your deck and shoe room look great! Such an improvement!